Monday, June 21, 2010

The Green Thumb Works

 

this week 613

Greetings. Well when I started this garden, I decided to do something a little different. Eh, I hadn’t done it before for this spot. I added two bags of top soil, eighty pounds. Mixed it in well and fertilized. Since it was so hot around May 31st, I decided to plant that very day. This picture was taken two weeks after, and to say the least I was pleased with the results. I planted, cucumber, zucchini,tomatoes, green peppers, and of all things watermelon. (All from seeds) The tomatoes, and the green peppers were started in separate pots. I didn’t have any luck with the green peppers last year because we had a cool summer. They grew but they stalled out and never gave me a harvest. I think I’m getting more control over the green peppers since I have them on the sunny warm porch. The watermelon is another challenge here in Cleveland. I’ve been trying for a couple of years to grow some kind of melon. 

d plantsThis is what they looked like after one week. This is supposed to be a heartier type, specific for a short growing season. (They’ll tell you anything to sell watermelon seeds !)IMG00238 This is today. They are healthy but small, for now.

3rd week These are the cucumber, and zucchini today. It’s amazing how large they’ve gotten in just three weeks.

It’s not too late to plant, but if you have just been thinking about it, you better go ahead and get it done. You will be surprised at how relaxing and rewarding it is. Till the soil and replenish the earth. Until next time, grow a garden !

No comments:

Powered By Blogger

Followers