Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Remembering MLK

Greetings Family. This is my tribute to Dr. Martin Luther King Sr. Well 41 years ago I was 6 years old. I was a child so I didn't realise the history I'd lived through even then. I saw the aftermath of the Hough Riots here in Cleveland. I remember watching TV, and seeing black people being sprayed with water cannons while they protested for equality. Carl B Stokes was our Mayor, the first black Mayor of a large metropolitan city. The strides made by the campaign of Dr. King were working. I saw race relations ease. Later I could be a Manager in restaurants, not just in Cleveland, but in northeast Ohio also. I was still the "colored Manager" when I worked in certain suburbs. It was more like ooo a colored manager!
Any way I admired the words of Senator Louis Stokes when he said, "he never thought he'd live to see the end of Apartheid in Africa." I didn't think I would live to see or realise it either. There were black presidents on TV and in the movies, but never did I think it possible to have such an incredible President Elect (Barack Obama) in my lifetime. We have overcome, now lets live the dream. A salute to Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King. Happy Birthday Dr. King Until next time, take care.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger

Followers